Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 28

A beautiful morning with neither rain nor many clouds. The temperature was around 80 and humidity around 70%. It definitely felt good out there with the fresh air blowing as I rode through it. Never mind the various cars and trucks and their exhaust of which they are so flatulent with. My thick northern blood has adapted fairly well to the warmer and more humid southern climate these last 10 years. Personally I would prefer a more temperate climate with neither extreme highs nor extreme lows.

I have taken to listening to my iPod during these morning rides. Before anyone says it…I know. We have all seen the idiots riding a bike blindly talking on their cell phone or listening to headphones and not paying attention to anything around them. Let my put your fears at rest, I always pay attention to other vehicles when I am riding. I do not have the volume turned up enough to keep me from hearing vehicles approaching from the rear.

I have many years of experience riding with traffic and I have done much research about riding safely and I ride accordingly. My riding experience has been on all types of surfaces andtraffic environments. I have ridden the roads up in Montana and the downtown of Boston at night. Also the roads in between and out toward the geography of nowhere of the suburbs and exurbs. Throw in for good measure every type of multi-user type of path both paved and non paved varieties. Then there was the off road back woods paths of the mountains and wooded areas of OH,Va. andWV., NC, and SC and other areas that I have lived and ridden a bike.

The one hour ride has turned out to be the magic number for podcasts that I want to listen to. The NPR program This American Life, which I used to love to listen to on the radio when I was out driving more in the past, is available as podcasts. I have also downloaded various programs like Word for Word, which is authors reading and speaking about their work. Also some poetry ones and some other miscellaneous things.

Things are continuing well on the bike ride front now that I was able to replace the faulty tube that was in the rear tire. Only two more days until i reach the magic 30 day mark!!

The numbers of the day:

15.32 miles
1:05 hrs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home